ARE MY FAVORITE...
Gage is just at the figuring things out stage. You know, where you can actually see the cogs turning and the information is processing and you can see it written all over their face. Lets just say we've spent some quality time in the car this summer, running everyone from this or that, and that seems to be where Gage does his best thinking.
The other day I see him in my rear-view mirror, opening and closing his eyes over and over. Hard.
He finally says to me "Mom, how come when I blink nothing happens?"
I look in the mirror and ask, "Like what?"
After several more blinks he says, "How come I don't appear at our house? I'm tired of being in this car."
I look at him again, and trying my very best to keep a straight face I say, "Well, I guess we just don't know that kinda magic."
"No, mom, I just don't think I've practiced enough."
I love that spirit. At four, nothing is out of reach, it only means you have to get bigger and better to do it. It was a sad day in Gage's world when he discovered that Livi will always be older than him. He cried and cried. He was sure that sooner or later he could pass her up. I told him that that didn't necessarily mean she would always be bigger, that if he would eat his dinner and drink his milk (yes, I thought this was an appropriate time to get a good eating habits plug in...) that he could grow bigger and bigger and maybe one day be bigger and taller than his big sister. He did seem to take some consolation in that (although I haven't seen a huge improvement in eating habits) but more than that, he figured out that Van will always be younger than him. That brought a pretty big smile to his face, even though at this eating rate, Van could very easily pass him up!
Same scenario a week later in the car and Gage asks, "Hey mom does everyone have a heart.?"
"Yes, everyone has a heart."
"What happens when a heart gets broken?" "How does it get fixed?"
So seeing my opportunity to talk about hurt feelings, I say,
"With lots of love..."
He gives me that look that only a 4 year old can give his dumb mother and says,
"How's that gonna work?"
Yeah, I'm not fooling anyone here...
As Livi and Gage were arguing the other day, I hear Livi say, "Gage no, are your ears broken? I already told you NO!" Yes, sarcasm runs rampant at this house.
Gage retorts by saying, "Yes Livi, I heard you!! I don't need earring raids!!"
Okay so maybe he has a little selective hearing, but who doesn't when you talk to Livi these days? All I know is when he looks at me with those big brown eyes, I wanna give him the world.
Or occasionally a Diet Coke when he asks for one, because who doesn't need a DC every once in a while? I love my four year old!


2 comments:
oh you are so right...4 is the best age. They turn from whining, crying, spoiled kids into wondering, thinking, sweet beings!!
Thanks for sharing!
I love this post. And I love that sweet boy!
Post a Comment