Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Weekend Away

So Dax has been traveling so much these last few months that he told me it was my turn for a weekend off.  I couldn't agree with him more.  My mom and I have been wanting to make a trip to Salt Lake to visit all her sisters and we wanted to shop and craft, so we booked our room at Alane's house and off we went.

As usual our trip started fairly late, and was delayed even further when I got pulled over not even a quarter mile from my house.  Just for the record, I didn't run that stop sign, and since I didn't have any warrants out for my arrest, our friendly officer wished us well and we were finally on our way.  We made it as far as Burley and called it a night. We woke up bright and early the next morning and got into Salt Lake at around 10:30.  Of course, as usual when we try to travel somewhere in March the weather turns miserable (see here). Snow, rain, hail and sleet cycled all day, but that didn't stop us from shopping away.  Alane met us at Gateway Mall where we shopped and ate lunch and tried to stay dry.

Grandma and Grandpa also decided to make a trip down to visit, so we threw together a party for Joy's birthday and invited her and Michelle's family down for cake and ice cream. 

It was fun to visit with Michelle since we don't get to see each other very often.  We reminisced about our college days and wondered how we got here  - with  24 years of marriage and 7 kids between us, we're not really that old are we?

Alane has a fantastic craft room, so of course after dessert we all trooped downstairs to craft and gossip.  Even Grandpa got in on the crafting.

Saturday was another day full of shopping.  We headed down to Thankgiving Point to shop on our way down to Provo to lunch with all our BYU family.  We squished as many co-eds into the car as we could and headed to Goodwood for some lunch.  It was fun to meet Brittnie and Reed's sweet baby Evan, and to catch up with Rachel, Danielle and Tracee.  Thanks for treating us to such a yummy lunch Uncle Don.

We shopped Provo, and even cruised by some of my old haunts.  Here's the Sunshine House - it still looks the same, with some minor changes like improved parking and a missing tree out front.  It sure made me miss the carefree days of college, and made my especially crave a DP run.

Too soon our day was done and it was time to make our last shopping trip.  There are still no prettier mountains than those in Utah.


We of course stayed up way to late crafting again making 'edgy' and 'renewed, reused and recyled' crafts,  and the next morning made an appearance at church before we decided it was time to go.  Thanks for hosting such a fun weekend Alane.  It is now your turn to come to Boise to play.

Bonus Pics

Apollo Ohno's house, just around the corner from Alane.  No sightings unfortunately.  We heard that he was at the Kid's Choice Awards - he must not have got the memo that we were in town!

Cute baby chicks for Easter at Tai Pan.

4 comments:

Jay and Kay said...

Can't believe I get to be the first sunshine girl to comment... maybe because I'm distracting myself from my crying baby by sitting on the internet. Oh how I wish I could go back for one day of carefree college life with all the girls!

Your weekend looks so fun... I need one of those!

Krissy said...

Woot woot...a shout out to all the sunshine girls! Fun memories, I loved that place!

Craftiness just runs in your blood, eh? What a fun getaway!

DianeT said...

That really makes me sad that I live 10,000 miles away from everyone. Looks like you had a fun weekend.

Alane said...

It WAS a fun time wasn't it? Too bad we can't just pop in and out
more often. NOW ONTO THE BOISE PHASE....