So there are some vacations when everything seems to fall into place and a good time is had by all-- this was not one of them. I look forward to Redfish every. single. year., but I feel like this year things just seemed to work against us. For the first part of the week I was scheduled for jury duty and if all went well and I would get dismissed by Wednesday and join Mimi and Poppy on Thursday at the lake where they were hopefully holding a campsite for us and Andy. Of course, Gage woke up with a fever and a sore throat, so as I was off to the courthouse, Dax was off with Gage to the pediatrician. As luck would have it, I was quickly dismissed and Gage's strep test came back inconclusive, but armed with amoxicillin just in case, we thought we were in the clear.
We packed the car and thought we were on our way. Not so much. Van spiked a fever and started throwing up about an hour into the drive, we had to make stops for him about every 45 minutes to clean him up, and after sitting on the highway for road construction for 30 minutes, tired drivers and crabby kids, it was an ugly drive to say the least!
But it is just so worth it. It really is a beautiful place.
We got right down to making sand castles and throwing rocks, even before we got our swimming suits on.
After a pretty miserable night of fevered and cold kids, I knew the next morning we just weren't in it for another night As it turns out Mimi and Poppy had a pretty awful night as well and decided that they were headed home too. We tried to make the most of the day and headed down to the beach for the afternoon. It was a beautiful Redfish day, although Van slept most of it under a towel fevered in the shade.

We had a sick kiddo that we needed to get home, but not before we climbed the big rock,
Although it was definitely not the best vacation of the summer - I still say it was worth the 24 hours. There's something about Redfish Lake that just soothes my soul. And although Dax isn't quite over it yet, my memory always fails me and I'm sure we'll be headed back next year!












1 comment:
There is some magic there. Too bad it doesn't cure ALL the things that ail you. It'll still be there next year and that unmistakable pull will be there too . . .
Post a Comment