Monday, June 30, 2008

"Mom, it's my pretend birthday today...."


So yesterday at church, I happened to walk by primary and see Liv up at the front of the room. I just assumed she's been picked to choose the next song or participate in sharing time, until I notice that they've given her a gift bag and she's now wearing the birthday hat. I continue to watch as they sing her the happy birthday song and ask her what fun thing she's going to do on her birthday. She responds with a "uumm, I think my dad said he'd take me on a bike ride after church." and then the song leader responds with a "Well, maybe you'll have a party tomorrow since today is Sunday." I see Livi get big eyes when she hears the word party, and I'm envisioning what kind of fit will come later as I try to explain to her that actually her birthday is July 29th not June 29th.
I pull the primary president aside and bring her in on the mistake and she checks her binder to see what day they have it on their records. Sure enough, they have June 29th. She's very apologetic and promises to get it changed, but in the mean time I run down to the clerk's office to make sure it's not wrong on her church records. Everything is right on her records, so it seems it's just been trickled down as a typographical error. As I'm coming down the hall from the clerk's office, Livi's Sunbeam teacher comes up to me and says, "Oh, what fun things have you got planned for Livi's birthday today?" (and I think she's secretly wondering why I hadn't invited her little girl to the birthday party.) I tell her what's going on, and she laughs and says she won't give her the birthday cupcake she'd baked and she'll save it for next month. Whew, crisis averted!
As Livi comes out of her class at the end of church she says to me, "Mom, I have to take my card down to the Bishop's office and tell him it's just my pretend birthday today." Don't ya love little girls?! We sure do. I'm sure glad I didn't have to explain what pretend birthday presents are!
Happy Pretend Birthday Liv!

4 comments:

Krissy said...

That is too funny! At least she will be a pro at the birthday thing when her real birthday rolls around next month!

Brittany said...

Liv is BEAUTIFUL and sounds hilarious. Send me those pics of Adam soon so I can laugh...

laurie said...

This is the funniest story! I'm glad you didn't have to be the "big, bad, mom" and explain it to her. It sounds like she took the unfortunate news well. I can't imagine how funny it would be to peek in and see her standing up, in all her glory, while the primary is singing to her.

Camille said...

Oh how cute! When I was in primary we had little kids always trying to convince us it was "really" their birthday.. evey month. I bet Livy just loved it! Hope she's not dissapointed when August rolls around and they don't sing to her.