Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Day at the Capitol


Recently Boise reopened the Capitol Building to the public after 2 years of renovations. Dad invited us down to go see the changes. I bundled up the boys and grabbed Mimi and off we went.

When I was a senior in high school I took a class called Honors American Government (yes I'm a H.A.G.) and got to be an intern at the Capitol for a semester while the legislature was in session.

After lunch everyday we loaded a bus and drove downtown to the Capitol Building. I ran errands and went to committee meetings and profread bills and other legislature that pertained to my particular department. I ran all over the building, and became quite familiar with all the halls and underground tunnels, so I was particularly excited to see the new changes.

They've completely added a new wing underground with skylights that are at street level in the lawns surrounding the building. They have buffed and shined and polished everything so that it seems to sparkle.

Gage had a great time running up and down the stairs, and looking at the model trains and other art pieces throughout the building. He was particularly impressed that they even put a steering wheel in, even though he couldn't figure out what it 'drived'.

You always need to take a little time out to do some 'jumpa' with Poppy.

Van surveying the scene from inside the building. He was particularly tickled to sit on this heat vent that blew air at him.

I just couldn't resist taking a picture of these cute ladies from the Red Hat Society. I didn't realize that along with the red hat, the dress code also calls for purple from head to toe. Who knew?

It was a beautiful day outside for January, and we much enjoyed our little outing. Thanks for the invite Dad.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

beautiful capital building. But, more than that I love the beautiful boys! I love your shadow pic with Van.

I can't help but want to snuggle Van and smootch Gage!